Tuesday, May 14, 2019

West Fork Piedra Blanca


Feeling a bit disappointed that my Bluff/Cienega Camps trip was cancelled this weekend I needed something extraordinary to help ease my sorrows. I could think of no better place to accomplish this than the West Fork of Piedra Blanca Creek. I've read of its wonders but in no way was I prepared for just how magnificent this drainage is. My personal opinion, as far as Los Padres is concerned it doesn't get  better. Rivals the beauty of the Sierras and that's saying something. I took way to many pictures but dammit I just couldn't keep my phone in my pocket. This was the first time I found myself wishing I had and could operate a real camera. My Iphone pictures won't do much justice and I find myself at a loss for words to really describe how nice it is, so I will be showing you a disappropriate amount of photos, hope you enjoy them. (Click any one to enlarge) This drainage will for sure always hold a special place in my heart should you decide to pay a visit please be nice. 

First nice flat area upon cresting the North Fork.

By 7:30 am we were crossing the Sespe and making our way onto the Gene Marshall - Piedra Blanca Trail toward our first Destination at Pine Mountain Lodge (About 6.5 miles). Near Twin forks Camps the creek splits with the trail following the North fork to your right and the west fork or main fork of Piedra Blanca Creek to your left. This would later be our exit point back onto the Gene Marshall. From here until PML it is an uphill assault. In about 3 miles you go from around 3600 feet elevation to just under 6000'. If you are not familiar with this area I have an earlier more detailed post to get you started regarding the lower section you can read here. https://christopherplord.blogspot.com/2018/10/piedra-blanca-from-rose-valley.html







Photos above highlighting some features surrounding PML

I absolutely love the Pine Mountain Lodge location. After cresting the rather hot and exposed north fork it is as if you are instantly teleported into a real conifer forest. The chaparral disappears and Pines and Cedar's take center stage. Huge rock formations dot the landscape in all directions, leaving endless opportunity for exploration. Besides Descending the west fork I also wanted to get a look at the new sign installed at the junction with the Cedar Creek Trail and assess the current condition of Pine Mountain Lodge Camp. Recently the forest Service directed UTMOC to come and remove the old Signs around PML and Three Mile Camps and replace them with new non mileage having and more policy orientated wilderness signs. I was and am still not happy about this. I wish they would stop removing our history from these places. Those old signs bring joy to my heart. Here is a photo below of the new sign and one of my favorite ones that was recently removed. 

New Sign with no mileage about 100 feet or so from the main camp

This one was removed hopefully I will see it again someday, possibly even displayed at Wheeler Gorge visitors center

Just off the Junction with the Gene Marshall and Cedar Creek Trail is the main Pine Mountain Lodge Camp. The site seemed to be in fine condition and more spruced up then the last time I passed through here. Main camp coordinates: N34° 36' 58.3" W119° 10' 37.6" The first site has some shade the others are quite exposed. All sites have nice kitchens and the spring was flowing near camp.




0.2 mile as the crow flies southwest of the main camp sits the original Pine mountain Lodge site. Here you have a large flat area that can accommodate many tents, a good sized fire ring, makeshift benches, Ice can stove and the "rarely seen in wilderness areas picnic table". (See photos Below) Original camp coordinates: N34° 36' 53.7" W119° 10' 47.0" (11/21 CORRECTION I NOW BELIEVE PREVIOUSLY I WAS WRONG AND THAT THE ORIGINAL CAMP WITH THE CABIN WAS THE ONE PICTURED ABOVE.)







Scattered about near the original and main camp are also a few guerrilla sites with fire rings. one I noted back along the trail shortly after topping out on the ridge and another northwest of the original Camp. After finishing up everything we came to see at PML we followed the drainage north a short distance veered west and dropped into the West fork. 




Immediately I knew we were in for a treat, a little hidden paradise. This my friends is the real deal. What's that you say another waterfall oh yea, pools loaded with little native rainbow trout you betcha. Big boulders, crystal clear waters and massive cedars yes indeed. 




Look closely can you spot the trout ?

There is no trail whatsoever through this section. One hundred percent a pick your own path. The upper half is much more manageable than the extreme chaparral jungle section which awaits you closer to the exit point. Plan on basically boulder hopping and creek slogging the majority of the way. Water levels are high right now and there is zero chance of not getting your feet wet. The going is slow but the scenery makes up for it. 






Expect to down climb a handful of small to medium sized waterfalls. Take caution the rocks are very slippery and a fall here would not be good. It is advisable to do your best to navigate around them. I brought a rope and used it once, not because I had to though, toward the end we were exhausted and did not feel like backtracking to the other side of the creek to avoid a steep drop. Again I will emphasise the rope is not a necessity here but a good piece of gear to always have should the situation arise. About a third of the way down the drainage was my favorite waterfall, we stopped and had lunch here on a stone bench across from the falls and enjoyed the view. I swear this was the nicest spot yet I have stopped for a snack. I included a waypoint for this on the google map below and gave it the name West Fork Falls. 

West Fork Falls

Lunch Time 



After lunch we continued to pick our way down, the lower we got the more brush choked and harder  it become. This drainage is long and you feel every bit of it. This is not for the casual hiker, The steep hike up to PML coupled with an even longer down climb through this west fork is taxing and bashing your way through the lower jungle section out right sucks. Typing this as we speak my legs still hurt I feel like every muscle in my lower half got thoroughly worked. Was it worth the price of admission hell yes it was. Our total mileage for the day was a touch under 16 although it felt like twice that. We spent a good amount of time canvasing the PML vicinity so potentially one could shorten the route by skipping the run around up there. Unfortunately the black tubing we found indicated there was once a good sized pot operation taking place in this drainage. I want to say we arrived back at the car around 6pm. Along with the map I have also included a GPS track and a KMZ file for download. 






If you enjoyed this post you can use the feature below to subscribe by email and receive additional posts delivered to your inbox as I complete them. If you don't want to follow by email there is also the option to subscribe via the RSS feed reader widget. Which you can access from the desktop view.  Thanks for the support.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

One April a while back (15 years?) we carried packs up the West Fork and camped in that cool cave-like recess in your photo (the 4th one). One guy even had a guitar strapped to his pack! Easier going than we had worried about, as up-climbing is easier than down. I still remember sitting around camp in the evening when a guy walking with a CAMEL came through the camp!

Lost In The Los Padres said...

Wild story thanks for the sharing George and your continued support.