Friday, June 22, 2018

Big Tujunga Cyn Reservoir and Josephine Falls


In need of some new local fishing spots, back in April  I went  on a quick scouting mission to find an easy way to access Big Tujunga Cyn Reservoir. From satellite maps I was able to spot what looked like a spur trail leading down to the reservoir from Big Tujunga Cyn Road. This was enough to warrant further investigation. So joined with my pal Dan Thompson we went and checked it out here's what we found. The trail does exist and is pretty good shape aside from the last 100 feet that drops you onto the canyon floor. That section is washed out with a lot of loose rock. It's definitely doable but would be a little sketchy if you had full Packs and or just camping gear for an overnight. 

Reservoir is around this bend to the left.
Once you reach the canyon Bottom the trail disappears and you will want to follow the river channel west to the mouth of the reservoir. A very short stretch around .2 miles will require bushwhacking. We found it easiest to just walk through the creek here to avoid some of the more heavy brush sections. Once past this, the area opens up very wide and travel is a breeze to reach the Reservoir. There is plenty of spots nearby by to camp for the night if you choose to. (I would check with the ranger station first to find out if camping is even permitted here ) I didn't see anything in Fish and Game regulations about no fishing in the reservoir so I'm assuming its fair game but don't quote me on that. Again probably better to call first beforehand. Once we reached the water I walked in quite a ways to check it out. The beginning is very shallow marsh land. Without the risk of getting myself in a any trouble I will go as far to say that most likely I had my pole with me :) as I usually do. Never leave home without it.

Can you spot me in the distance
The added bonus to this little adventure was we discovered a waterfall that we were not expecting to find. 0.6 miles down the Trail there is a junction for another very short trail leading to the base of Josephine Falls. (170 foot Drop) I was told this is a great spot for those who like to rappel. This is a nice shady little place to have some lunch and relax by the creek during the midday's heat. It now makes sense that the trail was in as good as shape as it was due to the waterfall being here.


4 miles was our total for the day out and back. If you just wanted to hit the falls and leave it would be even less. Another successful mission and good times exploring the Angeles National forest. Should you decide to visit there is a parking turnout located right off Big Tujunga Canyon road. The spur trail is right next to the turnout. To be safe display your adventure Pass. Click the link to view in google maps. Park Here





GPX File Download (GPS Units)
KMZ File Download (Google Earth)

3 comments:

jama said...

Hello ! Did you happen to find fish? I went there today and from one of the turnouts I believe I spotted fishing birds. Im glad I found this resource im going to adventure down there

Lost In The Los Padres said...

I only fished it once, Didn’t catch anything that day but they’re in there

Unknown said...

Leave a hidden trail camera when you park here or around the area. My truck was broken into at this trailhead. Now as I drive around the forest I notice car glass on the side of the road all over.